Menu

domingo, 29 de novembro de 2015

JSF Custom Components Development

Here at the State University of Londrina IT department we adopted JavaServer Faces as the presentation layer of our Java EE apps. Since I deal with JSF every day, I'm always interested to deepen my knowledge, be it by reading books or the Java subreddit.

For convenience of our developers I already customized some Primefaces components (I keep our own fork with those customizations) and in a few cases I developed simple custom components to solve issues because it seemed to be the cleaner approach and I found very interesting to learn how JSF components work under the hood.

Earlier this year I created a github repo to develop a component library based on Zurb Foundation (just like Bootsfaces did with Boostrap).

I began creating a few Foundation for Sites components. Then I found out there was also the Foundation for Apps (which uses AngularJS). At first it seemed the latter one had more to do with JSF goals, but after each created component I felt there was some overlap between Angular and JSF custom components, which made me choose the Foundation for Sites as the base for my component library.

There isn't a lot of detailed resources about component development available. The Java EE 7 Tutorial was a good start to understand the main concepts and also to learn a few good practices. The Primefaces and Bootsfaces source code also helped a lot to understand more advanced concepts.

I intend to keep this blog updated in order to document my progress and also to help those who want another resource to understand how to develop custom components or how to change existing components to their needs. Furthermore my work might provide another responsive component library to the JSF community.

Nenhum comentário :